What Is Cleft Rhinoplasty?
Cleft rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure performed to change the appearance, shape, structure, and improve the functionality of the nose for people who struggle with the overall appearance and sometimes functionality of the nose due to cleft lip and cleft palate.
However, you should keep this in mind that this surgery does not treat dark circles, crow’s feet, or any kind of facial wrinkles. You can consider getting Blepharoplasty for above mentioned cosmetic reasons or to fix any vision problems you might be facing due to the sagging of the skin.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate For Cleft Rhinoplasty?
Dr. Hiren Bhatt, Board Certified Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon, has provided requirements for people who want to receive cleft rhinoplasty.
- There must be one year of a gap between the previous surgery and seeking consultation for cleft rhinoplasty.
- If the candidate is not satisfied with the results of previous surgery or unhappy with the appearance of your nose in any way,
- If the candidate wants to improve your breathing in case if he/she has impaired or smaller nasal airway due to cleft lip and cleft palate.
- The candidate must be physically and mentally healthy.
- The candidate must be a non-smoker or at least ready to give up smoking for the time period prescribed by Dr. Hiren Bhatt.
- The candidate should have realistic expectations and goals from the surgery.
If you fit into the criteria given above, then you are an ideal candidate and can receive cleft rhinoplasty.
What To Expect At The Consultation With Dr. Hiren Bhatt?
Dr. Hiren Bhatt will guide you through the whole procedure and will discuss any concerns or doubts you may have regarding this surgery.
Dr. Hiren Bhatt will also discuss all aspects of surgery with you, if expectations or goals you have set in mind are achievable, how to prepare for the surgery, risks or complications that may arise, tips and suggestions for speedy recovery etc. Make sure to ask any questions you may have regarding the procedure and to clarify all your doubts.
What To Expect Before Cleft Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- Dr. Hiren Bhatt will discuss your medical history to understand how previous surgeries were performed, your expectations from the surgery, any complications that might arise etc. Knowing and discussing your medical history will help the doctor to carry out this whole procedure smoothly and without any complications.
- You may be asked to do some blood tests, a general medical evaluation to check your overall fitness and any reactions you might have to anesthesia.
- The pictures may be taken for medical records.
- Dr. Hiren Bhatt will provide guidelines on how to prepare for surgery, taking or avoiding certain medications, what food to avoid, instructions about smoking and drinking etc.
What Type Of Anesthesia Is Used For Cleft Rhinoplasty?
General anesthesia is used during this procedure.
How Is Cleft Rhinoplasty Performed At NVYA Aesthetics, Vadodara?
- Dr. Hiren Bhatt uses an open approach to cleft rhinoplasty because the open approach allows direct visualization of the nasal cartilages.
- Open rhinoplasty requires a small incision in the columella (the skin between the nostrils) through which the skin of the nose is elevated off of the underlying cartilage and bone. This incision typically heals with an imperceivable scar.
- During surgery, the skin is elevated from the underlying cartilage and bone. Depending on the strength and position of the cartilage and bone and the goals of surgery, a variety of maneuvers are used to reshape the nose and improve breathing.
- The graft material is needed in every cleft rhinoplasty to change the shape of the nose. Cartilage from the nasal septum is the easiest site to get cartilage grafts from, and the nasal septum usually requires straightening during the procedure.
- A large amount of graft material is needed to reshape the nose in cleft rhinoplasty because the skin and soft tissues are very scarred and stiff.
- After the desired changes in shape are achieved the nose is closed with fine stitches.
- At the end of surgery soft splints may be placed inside your nose to support the nasal septum. Soft splints are frequently used on the outside of the nose also to help shape the skin.
- Tapes and a splint are placed over the nasal bridge to support and protect the nose for 7 days.
How Is The Recovery After Cleft Rhinoplasty?
- You will be needed to take a rest for a week and will be advised to do minimal activity during this period.
- You may feel pain along with swelling and black blue marks under the eyes post-surgery.
- Dr. Hiren Bhatt will prescribe medications to reduce the pain; however, these marks will take several days to disappear and the swelling will subside after several weeks.
- Splints and sutures are removed after seven days.
- Also, for the first three weeks, you will be advised not to do any vigorous exercise or physical activities. After six weeks, no such restrictions will need to be followed.
What To Expect From Cleft Rhinoplasty?
This surgery gives permanent results; however, it takes a minimum of a year for residual swelling to subside. So, you will not be able to see any immediate results post-surgery. After a year, you will be able to see the final result of the surgery.